prism investigations

by tiffanysc2013

I’ve been working on a some ideas for my works’ Summer Solstice Patio Party this coming Friday. Thankfully there are a few people at work interested in helping  which means we will be able to make more than one installation for the evening. At first I was trying to design everything around the idea of a cloud but the shape is a too dynamic for the budget and for the number of installations we are trying to create. Once I realized how tough the shape was to deal with (in the mediums we were designating) I first thought to exploit the shape as an etherial installation on the roof deck. But because the weather is unpredictable (as it rained last year) I decided to create several pockets of interest as a device to encourage people to move about the party. So we have paired down the shape to be orthogonal and now I’m focusing on the idea of prisms which is still relatable to a summer solstice theme.  It’s a bit of a stretch but it sounds fancy to say prisms over a cloud.

At the community table we are creating a sectional installation made of paper which will be 30′ long taking inspiration from an idea that Tania my co-worker showed me a few weeks ago. The stairwell to the roof top patio will have macramé type triangles, influenced by string art – an idea that Cara, a student working at the office, and Courtney, our in-house chef had. We contained the idea into triangles instead of taking up a large space due to time and access to the space.  This type of installation has always appealed to me because when it takes up a large space it extends beyond a drawing (a line) and develops into a digital overlay – a coloured veil of an alternate dimension on top of the existing one.  Hopefully if we get those first two installed I can implement a canopy /covering that I am working on for the roof deck.

So far a few students from the office have begun working on the triangles for the stairwell  (mock ups shown below) and today I worked on dying fabric for the canopy. It was my first time working with dye so that was fun and it was beautiful out today so the timing was perfect. Early this week we will be setting up the paper sections over the table and the other two installations should be set up mid-week before Friday. Cross your fingers that it all works out. Below are a few images of this weeks progress.

IMG_5977 IMG_5987IMG_6002

my co-worker testing out the material

IMG_5989 IMG_5991 IMG_5993IMG_6017IMG_6018
IMG_6004

more input from my co-worker

IMG_6010 IMG_6013IMG_6022IMG_6021